Michael has been recognised at home and internationally, receiving a number of awards, accolades and honours, including:
- Order of Australia Medal in 1992
- Skiing Australia Skier of the Year 1993 and 1994
- Included in the Australian Sports Commission Hall of Fame and the Australian Paralympic Committee Hall of Fame
- Australian Institute of Sport Scholarship holder 1993-current
Team Captain, 2002 Australian Winter Paralympic Team
Australian flag bearer for the Opening Ceremony of both the 2002 and 2006 Paralympic Games.
- Elected as one of three winter athletes to the International Paralympic Committee Athlete Commission, then chosen as Vice Chairperson.
- Named as one of the 21 best athletes in the history of the AIS in 2002, an honour re-bestowed in 2006 as one of the 25 best ever athletes.
- 2002 Australian Paralympian of the Year.
- 2002 Laureus World Sportsperson of the Year with a Disability.
- 2002 NSW Sports Federation Senior Athete of the Year with a Disability.
- Sydney's Greatest Ever Athlete with a Disability, awarded in 2003.
- Selected as one of Australia's 50 Most Beautiful Exports in 2003.
- 2003 ACT Australian of the Year finalist.
- 2007 ACT Australian of the Year.
- 2003 NSW Institute of Sport Clubs NSW Athlete of the Year.
- Finalist in the 2003 and the 2006 Don Award, Sport Australia Hall of Fame.
- 2003 NSW Sports Federation Senior Athlete of the Year with a Disability.